Wednesday, September 1, 2010

"Hidden Treasure" Bread Pudding


hi foodie followers!   I realize I've been neglectful of the Blog lately...  but don't you fret!  we have been eating (though mostly on the go), and have been relying on faithful recipes (or take out).  what I'm saying is, there's been nothing to blog about.  well, there is one thing to blog about, but that's for another day...

ANYWAY. let's get to the task at hand and discuss the fact that I made pudding.  homemade.  with my own hands.  no boxes involved!!!  it was really easy and adding rum to it made me feel classy.

the recipe:
2 eggs
3 egg yolks
1 1/2 cups half-and-half
1/2 c plus 2 tbsp granulated sugar
1 tbsp Rum
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp kosher salt
1 c semi-sweet chocolate chips
2 c firmly packed stale 1/2 in. croissant cubes

so, you basically combine all of the ingredients then let it sit. place the chocolate chips in the bottom of the ramekins, add the bread cubes, fill the ramekins 3/4 full of the liquid then let it soak for 20 min. bake in a water bath (boiling water) for  20 min. let sit for 20 min. then let cool on a wire rack before serving.

obviously you can see it was A LOT of waiting around. this is not one of those desserts you want to make when you're really hungry (I was) or impatient (I am).

the verdict: I'm undecided.  for one thing, I didn't ruin it. I really loved the croissants and loved how they smelled baking in my oven.  I can't tell if the chocolate added something special to it or took away from it.  I also should add that I sprinkled in some fresh grated Nutmeg and a splash of Cinnamon. (in my opinion if you're going to heat Rum you need those 2 things with it.)

I wish I would've just used raisins like I originally wanted to instead of the chocolate, but I really thought my husband would enjoy the chocolate...  until he got stuck at work and won't be able to eat it now...

any takers?
~pam

No comments:

Post a Comment