Saturday, April 17, 2010

Beef Paprika


so Jake is finally home from two months at sea.  one thing he definitely looks forward to is homemade meals.  one thing I look forward to is cooking for him.  yes, I love the gesture of making dinner for my man.  and tonite- I decided on making one of my childhood favorites, Beef Paprika!  we found these amazing egg noodles at a German Delicatessen by our house today and it sparked my desire to make this recipe (since it's the only one I know of that calls for egg noodles.)  this recipe is also not from one of my cookbooks, its from a recipe card that mom gave me.  it's so very...  vintage.

how adorable is this recipe card?!

the ingredients:
1/4 c. shortening*
2 lbs. beef chuck or round, cut into cubes
1 c. sliced onions
1 clove garlic, minced
3/4 c. Ketchup
2 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
1 tbsp. brown sugar
2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. paprika
1/2 tsp. dry mustard
dash cayenne red pepper**
1 1/2 c. water***
2 tbsp. flour plus 1/4 c. water****
3 c. hot cooked noodles

*I used olive oil- I told you this recipe was old.
**not an ingredient I have in my house, I used a pinch of red pepper flake.
***I use 1/2 stock, 1/2 water combination.
****I skip this step.  I dust the meat in flour before browning, I find that this method thickens the sauce nicely and also lets you off the hook from making a thickener.  if you want to do this method, I would use corn starch instead.  (it gives a nice glossy look to the sauce and you don't run the risk of it tasting like flour.)

browning the meat, onions & garlic.

making the sauce.  be sure to scrape the good bits off the bottom of the pan!

I can not put into words how delicious this sauce is!  I just think you all need to make it and tell me what you think.  you can't go wrong.  oh, AND it's all made in the same pot so that's nice.  well, except for the noodles- but you get what I'm saying.

we also found these amazing Pretzel Bread Rolls @ the German Delicatessen.  OMG

for dessert I'm making Jake Erin's recipe for Salted Brown Butter Rice Crispy Treats.  if you guys haven't tested that recipe yet, make that one first,  then come back to this one!
~pam

No comments:

Post a Comment