Tuesday, April 6, 2010

the plan

after watching Julie & Julia over-and-over again, I am inspired to work my way thru my cookbooks.  if you haven't seen the movie, I urge you too.  it is funny, delightful and delicious.  in fact, it makes me want to buy Mastering the Art of French Cooking, wear pearls and have Julia Child over for dinner.  I might even consider watching her TV show (but her voice has always bothered me, nit-picky, I know...).

my goal: break out my cookbooks (I dug NINE, nine, 9! of them out of my cupboard tonite and I'm not including the 2 magazines that I have with amazing recipes in it, or the two books that came with kitchen appliances)- and cook from these books.  seems simple.  until you break them open and realize that your husband hates most all food and he is going to make this task difficult.  sigh.  

 yes, that is Cooking for Dummies.

we'll reveal Jake's food hates as they approach.  they are too numerous for me to name and list at any one time.

lucky for me, I already have friends that are volunteering to eat these recipes should Jake not like one ingredient.  we have no food allergies in this house, so I'm not sacrificing ANYTHING the recipe calls for.  I will do it, even if I don't like artichoke hearts or hollandaise sauce...

I want to put out there that I am actually a pretty decent cook.  most people that have tried my dishes really enjoy them and ask me what my secrets are.  first off, my main secret might be Food Network.  seriously, those chefs have some great tips!  my second secret is owed to my mom who always made sure we sat down at the table for dinner.  every nite.  I remember cooking beside her, baking (mixing the cookie dough) with her and sitting in the kitchen watching her whirl away as she prepared our food.  my Grandmother would take credit for my mother's cooking- I find them to be completely different- but you can't ever argue a point with Grandma, so we'll let her relish in her thoughts.

we will have a guest blogger, Erin, that will contribute from time to time, as she wants to break open her cookbooks as well.  (Erin has also politely volunteered herself to test out my tasty recipes!)

my first cookbook endeavor will be the Bride and Groom First and Forever Cookbook.  we've been married for 5 years and I think I should start using the book now.

there is a stain on the front cover, I have used it.  once.

I am really excited to use the following book, because it was my mom's (published in 1975) and it was the first cookbook she gave me when I first moved out of the house. 

just look at the tattered love and 70's photos...

WHY am I doing this?
1. I love food
2. I love to eat food
3. I enjoy cooking
4. I have 9 cookbooks
5. I enjoy writing, taking pictures (and eating)- so this is perfect for me
6. projects are fun!  and this is a good one, because we ALL have to eat, right?!
7. (Erin says she is doing this because she loves cookbooks & thought this was a good idea)

I end with what my dinner was this evening: deviled eggs and some Sour Patch jelly beans.  not together.

~pam

2 comments:

  1. I have 17 hard-boiled eggs sitting in my fridge right now waiting for me to make them into deviled eggs. Maybe I should dig out my cookbooks and find a recipe to make them with, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. YES! 2 of my cookbooks have recipes for them, actually. (I just looked.)

    ReplyDelete