Friday, April 9, 2010

Leftover Easter Eggs into Deviled Eggs

Last weekend my four-year-old Kate dyed 18 eggs into bright colors as part of our Easter celebration.  We took the eggs over to our friend's house Easter Sunday where I had every intention of turning those bright eggs into deviled eggs.  Well, that ended up not happening so I brought the bright, hard-boiled eggs home where they sat in the fridge for a couple of days before I finally had a chance to make deviled eggs.

Let me give you a little background on my relationship with eggs:
  1. As a small girl I only liked the yolks of eggs, not the whites.
  2. Growing older, my likes completely changed and started liking the whites, not the yolks.
  3. As an adult I tend to not like eggs in general but when I do eat them I still prefer the whites over the yolks.
Except for when it comes to deviled eggs. 

For some reason I can eat a dozen by myself and I still have no idea why I like them so much.  I has to be the mustard and vinegar-y, creamy taste - which completely masks the taste of the yolks.  I'm still boggled why this has to be this way.  That's ok, my sister's worse: she can't stand anything with tomatoes in it - except for ketchup.  Which she puts on everything.  I mean EVERYTHING.  I"m more of a mustard fan than ketchup, so GROSS!

Anyway, back to eggs.  I finally had a chance to make some deviled eggs however I couldn't find a recipe that I wanted to try in my cookbooks so I went to my trusty backup, Allrecipes.com.  I love that site more that almost every other site. And that's saying a lot!

I searched for a deviled egg recipe that looked tasty and I had all the ingredients for.  I was originally going to try a basic deviled egg recipe with mayonnaise, mustard, and paprika but I had a feeling that I would have to use a lot of mustard to mask the taste of the yolks. 

I found a different recipe that looked kind of basic but interesting, with sugar and white vinegar being a few of the ingredients.  I decided to use only six eggs so that I had a few left over if I didn't like this recipe.  Turns out, I don't need a different recipe.  This was a great egg recipe that gave you a ZING! from the vinegar but doesn't overpower the overall taste of the egg.  I think this might be my go-to deviled egg recipe however I might try the cheese and bacon recipe once or twice because, really, how can you go wrong with cheese and bacon?


6 hard-cooked eggs

2 tablespoons mayonnaise
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon white vinegar
1 teaspoon prepared mustard
1/2 teaspoon salt
Paprika (I am out of paprika but it still tasted great)


Slice eggs in half lengthwise; remove yolks and set whites aside. In a small bowl, mash yolks with a fork. Add the mayonnaise, sugar, vinegar, mustard and salt; mix well. Stuff or pipe into egg whites. Sprinkle with paprika. Refrigerate until serving.

1 comment: