Tuesday, April 13, 2010

French Toast with Hot Buttered Rum-Maple Syrup


I got to use the loaf of Challah bread I trudged all over Seattle looking for!  this was delicious- but I'm already a big fan of french toast, so I'm biased.  I will say this much, Challah will be the bread I use henceforth when making this dish!

the ingredients:
1/2 c. Half & Half*
2 Eggs
1 tbsp. Granulated Sugar
2 tsp. Vanilla Extract
1/4 tsp. Kosher Salt
1/8 tsp. Ground Cinnamon
2 tbsp. Unsalted Butter
4 slices Challah bread
1/3 c. Maple Syrup
1 tbsp. Light Rum

*I substituted with heavy cream and milk because its what I had on hand.

when I made the egg mixture I thought it was very watery and was afraid it wasn't going to do it's job, but the Challah bread sucked it right up and it worked very well.  I would prefer more cinnamon in my mix (a very important ingredient in french toast, in my opinion). 


the syrup was quite good and in general I'm not a fan of warmed syrup, I find it gets too runny for my liking.  my only complaint would be that I could taste the rum in it.  there could be two things that went wrong here, 1. I didn't cook it long enough or 2. I didn't use "light" rum.  that said, it was still good, and felt "warm" going down!


I'm so happy this recipe came thru for me, after last nite with the olives...

Jake and I will be revisiting this recipe in the future!!!
~pam

No comments:

Post a Comment